mgs

Shift lever springs/bolts '77B

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shift lever springs/bolts '77B
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 21:45:54 -0500
Hi folks,

      You may recall that I created an earlier thread about the transmission
tending to occasionally jump out of 3rd gear.  A variety of causes/solutions
were proposed for consideration while I had the engine out of the car.  Those
involving major surgery were set aside and the simple ones didn't apply.  On
reinstalling the transmission I started another brief thread looking for a
shoulder bolt and spring washer for my shift lever.  One of mine was missing and
had been DPO'd with a plain bolt.  Lawrie Alexander (anybody heard from him
lately?) had the bolt and spring washers, which I installed.

      I don't have very many miles on the car yet (~50) 'cause I'm having some
difficulty with getting it to run properly.  However, there has not been a
single instance of the transmission jumping out of 3rd.  I've done quit a bit of
the downshifting that used to make it happen.

     The North American Classic MG magazine that just arrived has an article by
John Twist on preparing your MG for the trip to MG2001.  He says, "...Falling
out of gear, especially third gear in the later model MGBs, is often caused by a
tightly fitting gear lever boot..."  A tight gear lever seat cover would have
the same effect.

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/