mgs

Re: Hard Start...MGA 1800 Engine (and a timing question)

To: "Blake Wylie" <blake_wylie@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard Start...MGA 1800 Engine (and a timing question)
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 20:17:39 +0100
I only have experience of MGBs but would doubt that timing advanced/retarded
and problems with cranking have anything to do with each other.
Pinging/pinking usually means the timing is too advanced, but rather than
just retarding it a little you need to check the centrifugal and vacuum
advance mechanisms - an adjustable timing light makes this a doddle - bad
springs in the former can cause too much advance at too low an rpm even
though the normal static and dynamic figures seem correct.

Cranking speed is usually affected by voltage (assuming that you are not
altering the compression at all), so measure the voltage at the starter
while cranking with each method and work back towards the battery till you
find a point where the voltages are the same.  The fault should lie just
forward of that point.

PaulH.