mgs

Re: Brake Fluid

To: mrazor@mis.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:45:14 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/00 6:02:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mrazor@mis.net
writes:

<< No I am not kidding.   I have never owned an MG as contemporary as a
 78 MGB and it so much more advanced than my 52 MGTD, 59 MGA or even
 the  69 MGC.  I have not had a chance to obtain a shop manual, so I am
 relying on the list to help me out until I do get a shop or owners
 manual.  I  plan to flush the brake system on this MGB, since it is
 becoming brackish. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry about the kidding part, Mike.  We go around with brake fluid as much as
we do about cats.

Yes!  Flush that old fluid out of the system.  Open all the bleeders and pump
it dry.  Then flush with denatured alcohol to get as much of the old fluid
out as you can.  Blow some compressed air thru the lines if you disconnect
them from the MC to evaporate the alcohol, otherwise give it some time to
dry.  Then flush with NEW Castrol GT LMA fluid to get rid of any lingering
alcohol.

Now is a good time to replace flex hoses and rear wheel cylinders, and
rebuild the front calipers.  Then fill with new fluid and bleed from the
longest run first.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget