mgs

Re: Multimeter

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Multimeter
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:01:41 -0700
Frank,

I've had a Radio Shack multi-meter for longer than I can remember.  It's
general purpose - AC/DC, Ohms, microamps and some other features that I
never bothered to figure out.  These are also referred to as VOM meters.  I
have a couple of suggestions that I would look for if/when I replace my
multimeter.  Be sure to get one with a proper DC volt range 0-15 volts DC
would be great.  My lowest DC range is 0 to 10 volts which means I need to
use a higher and less accurate (to read) range for automotive.  I will
probably go the extra bucks and get a digital next time as the analog meters
with 3 or 4 ranges are sometimes hard to read.  Don't overlook the ohm meter
as this is very important in checking continuity and seeing if your coil is
OK for a Pertronix electronic ignition (just did that).  Ohm meters usually
have a number of ranges like 0 to 10, 0 to 100, 0 to 1000, 0 to 10,000.  All
ranges are used.  If it includes a micro amp meter, that will allow you to
check the drain on your battery.  You do have to be careful not to run
anything through the micro amp meter as it will fry it.  I use mine for AC
as well so it's nice to be able to check 120/240 volts AC to help solve
household problems.  A very handy and hard to replace tool for auto work.  I
don't think it matters which brand you buy, just get one that doesn't look
too fragile.  If it can't take a drop from the fender to the ground it
probably wont last very long.

Dave 72 B