mgs

Re: oil/temp guage

To: Carl French <cfrench@cybertours.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil/temp guage
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:34:06 -0700
What is your elevation??  Where I live water boils at 204°F, and would be
just about 1/3 of the way up toward the hot side - not indicating danger
(i.e. 2/3 or so of the way up the scale from cold).  Sea level (212°F)
boiling should be a little further up.  My MG's ('58 A, '67 B) have the
early actual temp listed, so I don't know where the "N" is.  Anyhow, sounds
like the gauge is functioning, and you should bend the needle as you see fit
(careful not to damage it though).  Capillariy tube replacement typically
runs about $120 at the good gauge rebuild shops.  You can check it better
comparing to a candy thermometer.  Straight down on an early gauge is about
185°F.

Good Luck!
Phil Bates