mgs

Re: Fw: OD Prep

To: dhw@pinehurst.net
Subject: Re: Fw: OD Prep
From: Transmancat@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:40:49 EST
Hi Guys
I do not want this to seem like a shameless plug for my business but I am
going to try and help you out with this question, It is not meant as a
commercial so I do not expect to get shot down OK!

The Laycock OD is a nice unit but it does have some problems (all of which
can be fixed by the way) and they can be expensive to replace or to make
good. If you buy a used untried and untested one for couple of hundred
dollars and it turns out to be in good shape well done! On the other had you
can buy one for that money and find it to be nothing but scrap, ONE PART in
one of the units retails at $400, so take care here!

My shop has looked at two such units this week, both of which were beyond
salvage (OK we CAN repair anything, but lets get real here) We have also just
finished a complete rebuild of a late 4 speed with OD, the gearbox required
just about everything, and the OD was also in very poor shape, In fact I used
some parts from a scrap unit to rebuild this one. The total bill came to
$1557. But that is for effectively a brand new gearbox and overdrive unit.

If we now look at the 5 speed conversion we offer, it retails at $1850 but
you get a new gearbox, new bellhousing, new drive shaft and new Speedo cable
for that money, THERE are cheaper alternatives around, and If you wish, I
will even recommend some of them to you. You could also end up buying a lot
of work in some cases!!!!! It is just that I think that we as a company offer
a value for money package.

OK flame suit at the ready

Regards,
John J, Black