mgs

Re: MGB 5 speed Transmission swaps

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB 5 speed Transmission swaps
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:57:03 -0800
Hi, Larry,

I didn't see any other responses to your question so here's one.........

We have done a few 5-speed conversions (several TDs and TFs, one MGB 3-main
and one MGB 5-main).
The small cars use the 510 gearbox, the MGBs use the 280 ZX gearbox. In
every instance, the results have been excellent. The cars are smoother,
shift more nicely and have a 5th gear that is, in essence a 20% overdrive.

The MGB kit is supplied by Novus in Santa Ana, SoCal. They supply the
adapters and instructions, a suitably-modified flywheel and other bits and
pieces. You supply a used ZX 5-speed and a Datsun starter (both available
from most Japanese wrecking yards.

One other nice thing about the B kit is that the gearshift comes out in
exactly the same place and is the same height so, if you graft a B shifter
onto the Datsun stick, no-one can tell by looking that you do not have a
stock gearbox.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center