mgs

Update on the '71 B I looked at...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Update on the '71 B I looked at...
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:49:17 -0400
Cars like our MGs are a royal pain in the *ss for used car dealers.  Betcha
they haven't the foggiest idea how they're gonna get the thing running -
which they will have to do to get anywhere near $2500 for it.  If you like
the body, you might pick it up for a song and rid them of a sticky problem
at the same time.  Call 'em now and offer $600 cash if they'll deliver it.
I did that with my '76.  The engine had spun a bearing, but what a terrific
body.  They were gonna look for one con rod, replace the one bearing, put
it back together and sell it.  I offered $600, and got it for $750 and they
delivered it 30 miles for me.  That was in 1991.  I built a new engine for
it and I'm still driving it.

Just remember, between you and the list, you can solve problems and
entertain yourself at the same time.  For them - solving the problems just
eats up their profit margin.

Allen

>From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
>
>Well, this one was one of the "structurally" better ones I have looked at.
>Car was teal blue (respray, but a very good job), and had the Autumn Leaf
>interior. Inner sills were solid, no rust on outer rockers (or bondo),
>underside of car looked solid after some probing. Did find some bondo, but
>was in dogleg sections on each side. Floorboards had surface scale rust on
>them, and found one 1/2 inch hole through the passenger side floorboard
>(could be patched). Chrome was OK. The interior was shot (will need seat
>covers, webbings, foam, door panels, carpet, steering wheel had surface
>rust) and the faces on all gauges were peeling. Top in good shape. When I
>called about the car, I was told that it ran and was drivable. Well, when I
>went there today, it would not start (battery OK, but would do nothing when
>key was turned). This really pissed me off, since I was told it ran, and
>probably would have made an offer on the car if the car ran decent. I asked
>when the car was last started, and the sale guy said October. What an idiot.
>Salesman wanted me to make an offer on the car today before his tech had a
>chance to come and look at it (he tried the classic "another guy is coming
>tomorrow AM to look at it" line). I told him to give me a call when it was
>running and I'd think about it. The place is asking $2500 for it, and I
>think it is probably a $1500-$2000 car (depending on how it runs). What do
>you guys think? Run away? BTW, the B is in central PA. Any opinions greatly
>appreciated. TIA.
>
>Craig

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs