mgs

Non-working Z-S Choke

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non-working Z-S Choke
From: "John R. Boehmke" <mtbills@mcn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:33:38 -0700
I've been the proud owner on my 1977 MGB for about two months now. After
some initial work on a bad oil leak (side cover gaskets), carb rebuild
(including new choke unit), and tune-up, it is running great. We just had
it out for a veterans day top down cruise, which isn't bad for this time of
year in Montana. Looks like it will prove to be a better investment than
some stocks I've bought!

One problem I still have is hard starting in the morning. I've tuned it up,
and it starts great once warm, but that first start requires more cranking
than it should. The choke (fuel enrichment unit) is new, as the original
was cracked and inoperative. All parts are working correctly, and all the
holes in the gasket line up with the correct holes in the carb. I don't
think it's getting fuel. Could this be the problem? Every picture that I've
seen of a Z-S carb has the fuel intake on the left side. Mine is on the
right, while the choke is on the left. Could this have something to do with
the choke malfunction, or should fuel still be able to get to the choke?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John B.
77 MGB
77 VW Van