mgs

Re: ARGH those Suburbans( Otherwise known as those damn four wheel

To: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Subject: Re: ARGH those Suburbans( Otherwise known as those damn four wheel
From: mkris@sprynet.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:10:46 -0400 (EDT)
        Do you live in a urban or congested  suburban area;  I suspect not.
Leave more
than a car lenght and three cars try to turn into the newly available  space.
That is even
more dangerous than driving too close.  I have even seen subdivisions try to
squeeze into a
car lenghth ahead and quickly to gain a one space advantage on the Parkway. Not
every
defensive driving rule can be applied so easily and in every circumstance. I
have owned
SUVs, but when in the country, not in an urban enviorment.
        The subdivisions are particulary dangerous to other drivers in urban
areas.  I
saw it best expressed when another list member described the SUV drivers
observed as
"driving a truck like a car".  Different vehicles have different turning radi,
weights and
heights. If it were as simple as I bought  a truck now I should be able to
drive it; then a
subcompact is the same as an 18 wheeler and large rig drivers only need an
automobile
driver's license.  We all know that isn't true.
        As to the cell phone, of that I am certain. Its hard to miss the
antenna, the
crooked head angled to hold a phone and the animated conversation with no one
in the
next seat.  Unfortunately, it is not illegal to drive and operate a cell phone
here, although I
believe it should be.
Chris.
wounded 77 MGB