mgs

Moss Sale, and new mystery to solve

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Moss Sale, and new mystery to solve
From: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:36:56 -0700
It was very nice to get out in the GT and drive from Berkeley to the Moss
Sale in Goleta on Saturday.  It was one of those spur of the moment sort of
deals, when the mind says "road trip"  and the body just sort of goes yeah,
why not?  Some day, I plan to be able to have enough time to do a whole
bunch of back roads like Pat Bailey or Barney Gaylord, but in the meantime,
a mix of interstates and little roads will have to do me.  Drove from
Berkeley to Lompoc on Friday night, then took highway 1 down to Goleta the
next day.  There's something special about driving in your MG and watching
the sun come up on pretty countryside with the fog hanging over the ocean,
and you're pretty much the only one using the road.  Anyway, was there for
the opening of the sale, and got a carpet kit for the BGT, including the
rear hatchback section, so I felt like I did pretty good.

Got home safely, but (and you knew that was coming, didn't you?) half a
block from home both headlights quit.  Shortly before, I had noticed a sort
of high pitched, sort of moaning or keening noise which was only within the
range of hearing when the revs of the engine were pretty low.  I thought I
should check it out at some point, but then the lights went.  Now, flashers
work, side markers and turnsignals work, no ignition (alternator) light was
to be seen at any point during this whole incident, but I'm looking for
suggestions of what to check.  This is a 71 BGT.  I will look over fuses,
and for any loose connections today, but what else should I get out the
little multimeter and look for?  Thanks in advance,  Nina