mgs

Re: 76 B - fuel pump

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: 76 B - fuel pump
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:42:02 -0400
Paul Hunt wrote:

(snip)

> No factory MGB had recirculating fuel, although smogged cars had the carb
>overflows routed to a charcoal cannister in the boot, which could hide
>overflows.

Paul,

I believe that the device in the boot was in fact a separation tank,
designed to prevent fuel expansion from the tank traveling forward to
the charcoal canisters in the engine compartment.  Don't believe it had
charcoal, but I've never taken one apart!

Not trying to pass as expert here - only citing an excellent article by
John Twist on the "evaporative loss control system".  John goes on to
say that if fuel from the carb is vented, it goes into the charcoal
canister(s)in the engine compartment.  Sometimes, due to carb overflow,
the canisters will fill with gas, or so thoroughly soak the felt pads
that movement of fresh air [through them] is restricted.  Therefore, a
slight vacuum is placed above the gas in the carb float bowl which
evidences itself by lean running, or surging.

The latter condition sure sounds like the lean running problems
experience by some listers with later US model MGBs...

Bill