mgs

RE: MGF in America

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGF in America
From: John Walker <john@rmartin.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:49:35 -0700
First of all I believe that what you meant to say was the Z3.
The M3 is a sport sedan, not a roadster and would not be a
proper comparison.

Secondly, .....What?
What does BMW care which car in their lines sell?
BMW gets the money either way.
As for the price difference, I believe that one of BMW's reasons for buying
Rover in the first place was so that they could produce a quality SUV
(using the
Rover design group) and a lower cost sports car (MG) to round out their line.

I will be shocked if BMW does not release the MG in some form into the U.S.
market. IMHO they would be stupid not to.  Especially considering the success
of the Miata and the Z3 in the American market.

At 08:00 AM 9/10/99 -0400, Chris Kotting wrote:
>C'mon folks, the reason BMW decided that the MGF wouldn't be imported to
>the US isn't emissions and safety (it's already compliant with European
>standards that are the same as US Federal standards), it isn't the
>dealer netweok problem (for a company that size it would be easily
>resolved).  It's simpler than that.
>
>Compare the MGF with the BMW roadster in the European road tests:
>The MGF performs as well,
>Is considered about as comfortable,
>Is less expensive.
>
>They're concerned that the F will cut into their profits from the M3.

        John Walker
     john@rmartin.net
     drone@d23.com
~= Early 1974 MGB =~