mgs

Re: Beating Caliper Thread into Ground

To: "Chris Attias" <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Beating Caliper Thread into Ground
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:25:58 -0400
Chris Attias wrote:
> Well, I'd put my vote with the locktab (first choice) and Locktite
> (second choice.)  I wouldn't trust rust in the short term.  And I'd
> use that torque wrench!  I don't know anyone who has taken off
> calipers often enough to have streched out those special (guessing
> Grade 8) bolts, but I suspect that if you really got
> over-enthusiastic with a cheater bar, you could.
>
> The problem with lock washers is that you can't get as accurate a
> torque value as you can with a flat washer and oiled threads.  The
> other trouble with spring-type lock washers is that they lose some
> "spring" over time, and are little better than flat washers.  I've
> taken off a number on my car that were absolutely useless.

A spring lockwasher when new has a bit of a turned up barb on the ends.
These are meant to bite into the parent metal both above and below it. This
barb will be somewhat destroyed as of it's first torqueing down. This is why
it is most important not to ever use a spring lockwasher more than once.
FWIW.
Rich Chrysler