mgs

Re: Newbee

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbee
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:15:01 -0500
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> I'd have to agree with most of Rocky's suggestions except the pressure
> regulator setting. At 1-1/2 lbs. there's a good chance the fuel supply to
> the carb would be insufficient at anything over 3,500 rpm or under load at
> lower revs.  We've found it preferable to set pressure regulators at 2-1/2
> lbs (which is still below the level at which SU and Z-S float valves begin
> having problems).
>
> However, bear in mind that most automotive fuel pressure regulators are not
> exactly scientific instruments. The calibration does not necessarily
> correspond exactly to the markings, we've found, so start off by setting at
> 2-1/2 lbs. If the carb/s still flood, set it lower. If the car begins to
> stumble and sputter under load, set it higher. The key thing is to reduce
> the 6 or 7 lbs output of a non-original fuel pump to something the carb
> float valve can handle.

Excellent advice! I failed to mention that the car I had the
fuel-pressure problem on was a 1275 Cooper S with a single 1.5" SU (now
changed to a 1.75" HIF SU). The MGB power train in the Victor TF uses a
lower pressure Facet which is operating in the right range to not
require the regulator. I'm quite certain the MG uses more petrol than
the S, even though the S is highly modified.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com
Rocky's Mini Cooper Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6437/