mgs

Re: RB Mods (rearend ratios)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: RB Mods (rearend ratios)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:40:58 -0700
All B's had the same ratio (3.90:1) except for automatics and V8's (OK,
C's as well). And 3500rpm should be right in the fat of the power band
(such as it is), and corresponds more-or-less with low 60's mph. So I
would think you are having a power problem and not a ratio problem. For
further evidence, my 66B even in OD will pull right on up to 4000rpm no
problem, and beyond. The apparent speedo error is small enough to be
caused by non-stock tire size (I would think), though there are different
ratio speedo drive gears (for OD transmissions, I think) so one may have
been substituted.

Think of it this way -- not being able to pull a high rpm at speed
indicates too low a numeric ratio for the power available (say, 3:07).
But your speedometer error (reading high) would indicate a
higher-than-expected ratio (4:55 for example); or, as I suspect, low
profile tires. So my suspicion is, too little power available for the
stock ratio.

Ben McCoy had this to say:

--

Max Heim