mgs

In defense of Lucas

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: In defense of Lucas
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:27:40 -0400
 David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net> wrote:

>Jay wrote:
>>Why did I buy a Porsche?  One of the reasons for my change was the poor
>>parts quality.  By damn, I paid $980 in parts for my Porsche last
>>December and everything came in a box approximately 1 cubic foot in
>>volume.  Everything in that box was great quality and NOTHING had the
>>Lucas label, thank goodness.  I guess you DO get what you pay for.
>>

>What's wrong with Lucas?
>
>Sure, we have joked about the Prince of Darkness. But the truth of the
>matter is that most electrical problems (Lucas problems) are due to bad or
>corroded connections.
>
>I have had problems with some Lucas components - one time going through
>three Lucas generators on a 65B in a couple of months time(back in the
>70's). But overall, I find Lucas quality excellent and superior to many
>American brands. For example, my 71BGT has had the same alternater since I
>bought the car in 1983. Since then (and it was already old), I've put over
>100,000 miles on it and only had to repair it once - replaced the brushes
>at a cost less than $5.
>
>Most other brands, you can't replace the brushes, you have to buy a whole
>new unit (this also applies to starters too).
>
>My 74 Landcruiser had the alternater and voltage regulater die at the same
>time (at 120k miles). It now sports new Lucas alternator and regulater!!
>
>So I have to defend Lucas here - they have had some glitches but overall, I
>think their quality is every bit as good as the other companies.
>
>David
>71 BGT

I just want to say AMEN.  Except I would say that 98% of all electrical
problems I've had on MGs is due to the DPO.  What continues to amaze me is
how much of this 20-30-40-50-year-old stuff actually works!  Some of it
after years of neglect,  improper storage, or  abandonment.   I left my '71
GT "rusty" in storage for 3 years.  Then I put a battery in it and
EVERYTHING worked.   There's nothing inherently wrong with Lucas design or
quality, in my experience.

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs