mgs

RE: filters for late model "B' Overdrive tranny

To: "Scott C. Williams" <scw@cjnetworks.com>
Subject: RE: filters for late model "B' Overdrive tranny
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:23:13 -0800
Scott:

        I have run into this problem before.  The OE filter went away and
the one now being supplied sometimes has the filter screen off center.  When
this is the case the filter screen contacts the mounting bolts and oil can
leak through the joint.  I checked the ones here and they are made of a
greenish gasket material glued together with what appears to be rubber
cement.  I peeled the two gaskets off and the filter media is a touch off
center but looks like it would seal ok.  The glue stays tacky and I was able
to recenter the filter without a problem.  Once centered properly I think
the gaskets would take care of sealing without a problem.  It would be nice
if the manufacturer got it right tho'.  Close but no cigar is not my idea of
progress.

Kelvin.