mgs

Tow Bar v. Dolly and Saran Wrap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tow Bar v. Dolly and Saran Wrap
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 08:14:55 -0600
In re the tow bar or dolly question, I would use the dolly to avoid the
debris that is sure to be kicked up by the towing vehicle.  Also, your
dolly should have lights installed already, which will let you avoid
hanging a set of those magnetic mount lights on your LBC (I once watched
a set vibrate all over the deck of a rather nice '66 Chevelle I was
following, and shudder to think what it did to the paint....).

Recently, a buddy towed his car via tow bar for a short distance of about
fifty miles, about ten of which was over wet and nasty 4gravel roads.  To
avoid debris damage, and minimize the muck that was sure to accumulate,
he wrapped the front of the car in what he called 'Super Saran Wrap'
(that clingy heavy plastic film used to wrap around pallets of goods
being shipped).  It kept the front clean and ding free; he literally
peeled small rocks off the stuff when he removed it.  He got some from a
local shipping company.

I am told that it should not be applied over a damp surface, and it
should be applied immediately before leaving, and removed immediately
after arrival to avoid paint damage.  It would probably only work in
limited situations, but is an interesting thought.  I suppose it is
similar in application to the opaque cling film placed on the leading
edge of new cars being transported by truck -- could one buy this stuff
through a dealer?

Rich
Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"  (LBC Support Vehicle)
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"

richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com