mgs

some car mechanic help

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: some car mechanic help
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 98 10:14:00 EST
Took me 20 years to learn about brains and such, and for some dumb reason, I
thought I could learn car mechanics in a year.  Time for some humble pie.

So how does one learn what the various elements of my car are?  Let me ask the
pros.  Maybe these questions will be useful for other newbies.
(Series 1 questions, more to come?)
What is a Gulp Valve and what does it do?
What is an E.G.R. valve and what does it do?
Same for Anti-run-on valve?

I've been using the figure on p.14 from the Moss Catalog ('98)  - 1975-76 -
to at least identify many of the under the hood components and I cannot find
some. How important is the Fuel cut-off valve and what does it do...does it
do what its name says in case of an accident? If it is not there, does
that mean it is not strictly necessary to run?

Are there other diagrams recommended to identify different 'things'?
Something simple like where is the fuel line has me temporarily stumped.
(That's my optimism with the use of 'temporarily.')
I guess I am trying to learn the art & mechanics of these engines on the
fly...which is fine, but since I am starting from about 0.07 from total
ignorance, you folks become the experts I look towards.

Any general suggestions about some clearly written manual that explains these
engines and how they work? Haynes & Bentley help for identifying some, but they
seem to
be geared to a stock car that has not been modified.
        One last question: someone local suggested that I remove all
the "emissions crap". What are the mechanical consequences (let alone
legal) of doing that? And what parts under the hood represent the
"emissions crap", the stuff on p. 14 of the Moss Catalog that is different
between the '70-74 and '75-76?
Thanks for your patience,

Bill

Bill Saidel           (609) 225-6336
Dept. of Biology      (609) 225-6312 FAX
Science Building      E-Mail: saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
315 Penn Street
Camden, NJ 08102-1411
For more information about my science, check
      http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."