mgs

Re: Cooling System Refill (Late B)

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cooling System Refill (Late B)
From: prsmith@navnet.net
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 07:13:48 -0400
In <19981103032329890.AAA243@eugeneb>, on 11/02/98
   at 10:23 PM, Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com> said:

>I am about to replace the thermostat in my 80 B.
>I am wondering about the correct method for refilling
>the cooling system since the radiator does not have
>a direct fill neck.  The filling is done by either in the
>overflow tank, or via fill port above the thermostat
>on the engine block.   I am concerned that the
>radiator and block may not fill completely of that I may trap  air in the
>system.  Do I need to be concerned ??  Any
>hints ??

>From Haynes.  This is for the later cars with the expansion tanks.  I
recall last year I lost the top hose on the higway.  I installed a new
one, filled up the expansion tank and drove away.  The car overheated. A
few days later, i had it in for service and I asked the mechanic about the
overheating.  He told me about the correct procedure.  Since you will have
the 'stat off you will have the same problem

Hope this helps

Draining.

1.  With car level, remove expansion tank cap.
2.  Remove filler plug from coolant outlet pipe (at the thermostat)  3.
Disconnect bottom hose on rad.
4.  Remove drain plug from block
5.  flush as necessary (again see haynes)

Now for the key part.

Filling

1.  refit drain plug
2.  Refit bottom hose and check all other hoses
3.  with heater temp control to hot, top up expansion tank to half full
and refit cap
4.   Fill system via the filler neck on thermostat up to bottom thread.
refit plug  5.  Run engine until top hose is warm then shut engine off
6.  Turn expansion tank cap to safety stop, release pressure, then refill
to half full as necessary before tightening cap.
7.  Remove filler plug and top up to bottom of threads and refit.

You may have to do step 7 a few times

Preston