mgs

Oil Pipe on 'A', Theromostat temp

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Pipe on 'A', Theromostat temp
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 08:49:04 -0800
In the process of getting the heater working on my 'A', I ran into a minor
problem -- the oil pipe from the filter to the rear of the engine limits
movement of the heater control.

THe pipe runs very close to the heater control valve and, the cable clip
will not go past the oil pipe. So I have 2 ranges for the heater -- hot or
cold -- with the cable clip either side of the oil pipe.

I may be able to remedy this, but the basic question remains -- what is up
with the oil pipe. All the photos I can find show the oil pipe running
along the block. The Moss catalog notes 2 oil pipes, but Clausager only
notes a change in one of the fittings at one end of the pipe.

Is the oil pipe an incorrect fitting, as I suspect? Is it difficult to
replace?

I am now running a 190 degreee thermostat. I decided to put in a winter
thermostat, yet all I could find in my stock were either 190 degrees or
they did not have the small bypass (to allow a very small flow, even when
the thermostat is closed). Is 190 degrees too hot? What do others use?

Finally, has anyone ever considered fitting an auxilliary electric water
pump? Modern cars sometimes have these to continue circulating the water
AFTER the engine is switched off.

Simon

---
Simon Matthews                          MailTo:simon_matthews@avanticorp.com