mgs

rear ends

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rear ends
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:50:37 -0500

When starting my last V-8 project, I spent a lot of time on the rear end
question. For my first conversion, I was able to find a MGC rear, 3.07.
These are now almost unobtainable at any price, but should you find a
good one under $800.00, snatch it up.

Any rear end you buy will wind up costing you about that much by the
time you have it narrowed, & make whatever rear brake mods are
necessary, maybe considerably more.

My final choice was a Ford 8" from some old 70's car, model unknown, as
it was out of the car at the salvage yard. It came with a 2.8+- ratio.
Since the 8" Ford has a drop out pumpkin, or center section, it is very
easy to swap ratios by purchasing additional pumpkins. In this regard,
it is like a Ford 9", just smaller. I have since put in a 3.00 ratio, &
finally, a 3.50. The swaps with the axle in the car take less than 2
hours for a non-pro using jack stands & no air wrenches.

A further option is available with the 8" Ford, & that is to have the
ends replaced with the ends off a tube style MGB rear, & have custom
axles made up. This is what I did. The ends of the MG housing slide into
the Ford tubes with only a minor reduction in outer diameter. My setup
was done by Glen Towery. I furnished the Ford housing & MG tubes, he did
the shortning & supplied the axles. I have over 30,000 miles on it & am
quite happy. All the stock MG brake components are used without
modifications.

With the easy gear swap, you can start with a 3.50 with your 4-cyl, then
change to a 3.00 when you do the V-8. If you should go this route, find
the center sections in the ratios you want before buying anything else,
unless the complete housing comes with the ratio of your choice. This is
because higher ratio pumpkins are hard to find.

Contact me off list if you want any more details.

Jim Stuart
2 V8's, no dollars or sense