mgs

Re: Reverse Lights

To: Erik Brzoska <sniper98@mailexcite.com>
Subject: Re: Reverse Lights
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 16:04:20 +0000
Erik Brzoska wrote:

> The reverse light bulbs are good and one of the wires is getting flow, but
>the other wire is not.
> This leads me to believe the switch is bad or the wires to it are detached.
> How do I access it?

One of the lampholder wires (green/brown) carries 12v from the switch
and the other (black) goes to ground i.e. it should be at 0v.  If you
mean that one of the wires on the reverse light lamp holder has 12v and
the other does not this indicates that the switch, wiring and ground is
OK and the problem is internal to the lamp holder, although you could
have a bad ground as well.  You have already checked the bulb, so it
could be where the contacts of the holder, well, contact the bulb.

Both wires on the lampholder at 12v would indicate a bad ground.
Neither wire on a lampholder at 12v would indicate a fault in the wiring
back to the switch, the switch itself, or the supply to the switch.

> Also I am concerned about the possibility of screwing up the O/D if I have
>one, how can I tell?
> The numbers say I don't have one though SN 18V883AE!

If you have an O/D there will be a big lump between the gearbox and the
propshaft with a label on it saying 'Laycock Overdrive type LH' or
similar.  If you do not there will be a slim tapered casting instead.
77 model year cars had the overdrive switch on the gear knob.

PaulH.