mgs

RE: Prestige Auto Trim

To: Nick Coleman <coleman@sd.aonix.com>,
Subject: RE: Prestige Auto Trim
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:20:59 -0600
> Put my top up the other day (parking it at the airport...only time it
> generally has to go up here in San Diego).  Anyway, the fabric ripped along
> the seams...orginal/25 years old so I guess dry rot is to be expected.  So,
> looks like I'll need to replace it.  I'm tending toward the fabric top, but
> MOSS' price is beyond excessive.

Bummer. Here's a little tidbit, as I write this my wife and daughter and
son-in-law are leaving Children's Hospital in San Diego with my new grandson.

> Saw from your recent email you got a top from Prestige.
>
> Are you happy w/ it (fit, finish, ease of install, ease to put up/down,
> etc.)?

Yes, and everyone I know that has bought from them is also.

> Did the Prestige Fabric top come complete w/ the snaps and header rail
> installed?

All lift the dot snaps were installed.  The small push snaps on the inside that
fasten those little straps to the top frame you'll have to install.

My top came without a header rail.  I believe that is SOP.  You reuse your old
header rail.  No big deal.  I just put up my top frame but didn't push the top
bow forward.  Then snapped the top in place.  Put contact cement (I used the 3M
type) on the end of the top and the header rail.  Stretch tight and hold.  Your
done except for a little trimming of the excess and installation of the gasket.

> How long did it take to install and where there any special tricks?

I spent about 1/2 day doing mine, first time ya know.  I suppose it is an hour
job for a professional.  David Deutsch (he first told me about Prestige) had his
installed for I think about $75.

> Do you know if Prestige also deals in carpeting and upholstery...that's got
> to be done shortly as well.

I believe they do.  I bought mine from Moss or VB, I can't remember which.  I
didn't know about Prestige at the time.

I bought the fabric top, it looks great.  Dan Ray bought the vinyl and I believe
he is pleased.

If you order be sure to ask about VAT.  I think that Dan Ray was charged VAT and
I don't think he should have been charge.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy
Denver, CO. USA
1967 MGB Roadster, Vintage Racer
1969 MGB Roadster, Driver
1970 MGB Roadster, Fixer upper
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, for the wife
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"