mgs

Re: Help!

To: Joe Fernandez <JAF@YMH.COM>
Subject: Re: Help!
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:54:02 +0000
Joe Fernandez wrote:

> I need some advice, ASAP.  Yesterday, as I was leaving work, I cranked
> up the '77B just like normal.  I backed out, drove about 50 yards to merge
> onto the main road, and she died.
>
> Now she will not start.  As I crank the engine it turns over, but never
> catches on.  It really sounds like I am revving the engine, not starting it.
> The ignition light on the dash has been on for a while, but I never did
> anything about it.  Now I am stuck and need some quick help.  Can
> anyone diagnose the problem or give me some starting points?  Thanks.
>
> Joe Fernandez
> Raleigh, NC

If it's cranking, then it doesn't sound like battery or alternator.  Not
sure what you mean by "sounds like I am revving the engine", but if you
mean it is turning over faster than normal cranking but not enough to
run on its own it could be gross fuel starvation - just enough to give a
fast crank.  Alternatively it could be no fuel at all (pull a feed pipe
off a carb, hold it over a jar while someone turns on the ignition to
check) or no spark (clip on a timing light and watch for flashes while
you crank).

PaulH.