mgs

Re: Chrome Repair Question

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Chrome Repair Question
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 07:03:05 -0700
BobMGT@aol.com wrote:

> The false nose piece on my TD radiator shell has a torn dented spot. I bought
> the reproduction part, but it is a poor fit. Is there a way to repair the
> original? The nose is made of brass, BTW. I'm thinking that some hammering and
> soldering/leading could make the old nose whole again, but I don't know if the
> solder/lead can be chromed. Thank god for the reproduction parts (especially
> when the original's missing), but they're not always perfect.
>
> Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
> EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
> 52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336

It is quite normal for solder OR brazing to be used to fill dents before
re-chroming. With steem parts like bumpers it is the only way to fill
ground out rust holes.

How ever, have you tried the services of a 'Tin Smith'? A 'tin-basher'
should have no problem removing such a dent.

Neil

1952 YB with just 54,000 miles!!
And lots of other junk!
And a wife who asked who I was yesterday, ( See 'Help' )