mgs

Re: Missing MGB, clews needed!

To: "Paul A. Tegler, Jr" <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Subject: Re: Missing MGB, clews needed!
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:04:56 -0700
Paul A. Tegler, Jr wrote:

> I also seem to have a similar problem. After setting up the twin SUs on my
> 73 BGT I seem to have power fade at higher RPMS under load. Color tune says
> I'm right on the money as far as mix goes. I changed the air filters to the
> K&N MG plate setup, the dist. has been rebuit, and evben after installing a
> new Peco free flow exhaust to repalce the slightly crimped orig exhaust, I
> still have this power fade problem. Could it be the Dwell? Carb needle
> selection?( SU tune up book says with K&N air filter I should change from
> the AUD550 (FX) to the No. 6 needle? Any ideas?

If you fit K&N filters, they 'flow' a lot better, meaning the mixture
will get weaker the higher the RPM. I recently tuned a 1622cc engine,
and whilst it ran OK at idle, by 4,000rpm it would give fantastic
blow-backs on try to accelerate. There was no real power after 3,500
rpm, and the plugs were white on checking after to run. This indicates
a weak mixture. No6 needles cured it instantly.

Neil