mgs

Air pump rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Air pump rebuild
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 12:05:08 -0400
First, I'd like to (finally) add myself to the list of people who own an
MG that's actually roadworthy.

I bought this little jewel in May of '97.  It ran all the way until
August of that year.  On a road trip from Charlotte to Chicago, a rod
bearing began to rattle.  By the time I got back to Charlotte, it was
drinking a quart of oil per tank of gas, and cooling everything on the
right side of the engine with a lovely spray of water out the head
gasket.

Now, 11 months, one camshaft, eight lifters, four pistons, one
distributor and a boatload of new bearings later, the old girl's back on
the road - splitting the ears of neighborhood dogs and offending drivers
of 'sensible' Honda Accords everywhere.  Of course, now I have to clean
the garage.

But the question:

Because we're considering moving to California, I picked up a used air
pump.  I've heard that when the bearings seize in these things, you can
almost hear the fat lady singing.  But is it possible to rebuild one
that's not smoked yet, and gain a few more years of service on it?

If yes, does anyone have a good idea on how or where to get it done?

Thanks again, and sign me up for next year's British Car Week - if I can
keep it running that long.

Cheers, truly -

Matt Kulka
'74 B - Fifty miles on the motor, and already two moonlight drives under
its belt.