mgs

"Minilites"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Minilites"
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:36:10 EDT
<<I am toying with the idea of getting a set of new minilites for my 69 -
its either that or getting a set of wires rebuilt but the cost
differential, whilst not insignificant, is close enough that i would
prefer to get the new ones.
My connundrum is whether it would be foolish to put new wheels on old
hubs -
the ones on the car are basically fine, no play or clunks but of course
they are somewhat worn - as are the splines on all the wheels that go on
and off the car periodically -
Anyone have any experience/advice on this? - i dont want to buy close to
$1000 worth of rims only to **** them up on old hardware
mike robson>>

I wouldn't touch the fake Minilite knock-offs if I had a 10 foot pole!
First, you don't save much weight over a steel wheel set up, second, and a
matter of opinion, they don't look as nice, but more importantly they are not
safe!  I have seen two wheels come apart in vintage racing, fortunately
without hurting anyone.
You might get away with it on the street, or it may have been a quality
control problem that has been fixed, but why take the chance?
If on the other hand, they are real Minilites, then the safety objection
doesn't apply.

And on your main point, I have seen many badly worn splines that will
accelerate wear on the wheels. I replaced all of the hubs on my MGC when I
rebuilt it, even though it was expensive, simply for safety.

Bill S.