mgs

NO LBC, New pickups (was Re: MGF impressions)(Apologies to the

To: mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu (Mike Lishego)
Subject: NO LBC, New pickups (was Re: MGF impressions)(Apologies to the
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:08:47 -0500
Mike,

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but around here, if you
shop around, you can get a 1998 Dodge Dakota or a Toyota Tacoma for
under $12,000.  You can even find some dealers with a couple leftover
'97 Ford Rangers (I know of three) that can be had for under $10,000.
These are the actual prices they're advertised for - you can bargain
them down to even less, if you're good at it.  Surprisingly, these are
not "bare-bones" trucks, and include things like am/fm/cass, sliding
rear windows, aluminum wheels, etc.  The dealers push the leases because
they make a pile of money on them.  Run away from these salesmen.  You
have to hunt around for what you want, and don't be afraid to walk away
if you can't get it.  Now if you're looking for a 4x4, that's a
different story.  They price them a big higher, but you can still get
deals on leftover '97's and get them cheap.  You may even find a new '96
still lying around.  That's what I did.  I spent months looking for a
4x4 automatic - tough to find for under $20-something grand.  In the
fall of '95, I found a dealer that had 7 new '94's left, and checked the
papers daily for the sale ad that I assumed would be coming when they
got the new '96's in.  The day the ad appeared, I went down and got the
one I wanted for $16,000 (4x4, automatic, off-road package with uprated
suspension, mud flaps, aluminum wheels, am/fm/cassette, 3-passenger
bench seat, you get the idea).  Now I have something to haul my MG with
if it breaks down (notice how I snuck in the LBC content there).
Anyway, be patient, and shop around.  You can find one at the price you
want.  If all else fails, come to Buffalo and I'll show you where to get
the good deals!

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort