mgs

Re: Comment on newer cars

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Comment on newer cars
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 21:04:26 +0000
> Yeah, but have you considered depreciation of the MG versus the Miata.
>
> Every last cent I put into my MG minus my labor appreciates the car, provided
>
> I don't put $15,000 into a 100-point restoration.

Not even close.  Spend $1200 dollars on engine parts for a complete
rebuild, and see what happens to the resale value of your B.  It
won't go up anywhere near that much.  Same with pretty much any other
work, with the exception of something really labor-intensive, like a
repaint.  You don't have to spend anywhere NEAR $15,000 to have more
money into it than it's worth.
        As for the depreciation, there are old Miatas, too, and they can be
had for a very nice price.  If you're going to complain about the
depreciation on a brand-new, loaded, $23,000 Miata, you should at
least be comparing it to what would happen with a freshly-rebuilt 100
point MGB on a new bodyshell.  You'd spend $20,000 easily on a car
you couldn't sell for $12,000.

>Otherwise, I feel good,
>
> knowing that I don't have a car payment each month, and a piece of steel with
>
> wheels that will eventually be worth very little monetarily.  I think another
>
> consideration as well is that many newer cars are not meant to be around long.
>
> They are disposable.

I don't see this.  People may be TREATING them as disposable, what
with short-term leases and drastic model changes every few years, but
the cars are getting better and better.  Advances in rust prevention,
use of materials such as aluminum and carbon fiber, advances in
engine longevity and increased safety requirements all lead to cars
that can be around for a long time, if the owner has the inclination.

> Jay

Scott Gardner