mgs

Re: to blast or not to blast

To: Enrique Claure <span@datacom-bo.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: to blast or not to blast
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 07:29:31 -0500
At 10:33 PM 1/25/98 -0400, Enrique Claure wrote:

>>Hello fellow MGers, My MGB=B4s engine is out and ready for a 99.99%=
 overhaul.

>Before I do so, I will paint the engine with Maroon Red form Hirsch Auto. I

>must first remove the original worn down paint. What should I use to do so:

>1. Sand blast 2. Chemical Stripper 3. Stripper and Mechanical sanding?

>Thanks for your advice, ENrique.

Enrique, when you take your block in to have the bearing faces and cylinders=
 bored(if necessary), tell them to dip it in their tank or have it blasted=
 clean in their pressure wash.  The machine shop will put a special chemical=
 onto the block which cleans all surfaces very well, as well as removes any=
 paint.  What you get back from the shop, you will have a nice, clean=
 surface ready for primer.  The apply your engine paint, and voila, a=
 magnificent job. =20

I would discourage the use of sandblasting as a means of removing paint from=
 an engine block.  The chance of sand getting into the recesses of the block=
 are too great.  When you rebuild the engine and start up the car for the=
 first time, those little sand particles will be floating around possibly=
 eating up your critical surfaces and ruining all your work. =20

Chemical stripping is possible at home, but I did not have the chance to try=
 it out.  Normally, though, chemical stripping is easiest on smooth, flat=
 surfaces, but it may work in crevices of an engine block.  I dunno!

Jay=20

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.   =20