mgs

Re: MGB starting.... another day...

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: MGB starting.... another day...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:17:17 -0500
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:
>   John Twist says also that one must shim the needle valve to adjust,
> though not how to do it.

  I think I will have to. I rechecked the back one today and it
was VERY underadjusted. I must have mischecked it the first
time when I said it was ok. It's VERY off, it almost hits the
housing before it stops.

  I really am surprised I could mismeasure it that badly. Perhaps
there is something moving around in the needle and seat, and last time
it landed
"better" before the test.

  I guess I'll replace them with Grose Jets. Opinions? Are
they adjustable? The appear to screw in, perhaps they
adjust this way.

>   "To check the float level, hold the float chamber lid and float
> assembly upside down, and place a 1/8 diameter bar across the
> diameter of the machined lip of the float chamber
> lid, parallel to the float lever hinge pin and under the float lever. The
> face of the float lever should just rest on the bar when the float needle
> is held fully on its seating.

  The front one is JUST under 1/8th so I thought it was
acceptable for now, but the back one is approaching zero. Perhaps
the back two cylinders were flooding which is why it sounded
like it would ALMOST start.

  Thanks! Every day brings a new idea that makes me think
it'll explode to life with a simple fix.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada