mgs

Re: Passing gas- 1 more correction

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Passing gas- 1 more correction
From: Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 98 16:21:13 EST
> > I don't believe it's physically possible to have more molecules going
> > out then coming in.  The equation must be balanced.  You have to have
> > the same number of hydrogen molecules on each side of the arrow, same
> > number of oxygen, same number of carbon.  I seem to vaguely remember
> > this from my freshman Chemistry class.
>

> Corrections!  I mean to say "atoms" above.  The atoms will be rearranged
> into different molecules during the reaction, but you won't come out
> with any more than you went in with.

Man, I can't seem to make myself clear today!  That second sentence
immediately above should read: "The atoms will be rearranged into
different molecules during the reaction, but you won't come out with any
more ATOMS than you went in with."  Sorry for the confusion and
overposting :-)

You may indeed come out with more molecules than you put in, but they
will all be made up of the same atoms that went in.  You won't come out
with more atoms than went in.  The reason I posted initially is that in
the original posting of the equation, he had more atoms on the "after"
side than he did on the "before" side, which just ain't gonna happen :-)

Sean Bartnik
Fredericksburg, Virginia
'81 Vanagon Westfalia
'74 Karmann Ghia convertible