mgs

Re: MGB Dashboard lights

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Dashboard lights
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 15:45:40 +0000
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

> These bulbs are rated 200 mA at 7.5 volts.
> _ If _    W = A * V,   then W = 1.5A  when .2A * 7.5V
> The 12v bulbs I removed had markings of 2.2 and 3.0 W.
> IF my formula for W = AV is correct, then there isn't much difference in
> current.
> Someone who knows electric theory is invited to participate in this.
> Electricity is not my first love, and I'm trying to perfect a hydraulic
> lightbulb to get away from the stuff entirely.
> Bob

Standard bulbs are marked 2.2W at 12v, this gives 183mA.  But these other bulbs
are rated 200mA at 7.5v, so at a nominal 12v they will draw about 320mA i.e.
some
75% more current.  Admittedly there may be some positive temperature
coefficient
effect that will tend to limit the current increase at higher voltages, but I
would still expect the end result to burn out the rheostat sooner.

PaulH.