mgs

Re: Wanted - 7/8" front sway bar for MGA

To: MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com
Subject: Re: Wanted - 7/8" front sway bar for MGA
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 06:41:23 EST
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 20:00:32 -0600 Kevin Brown
<MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com> writes:
>Larry A Hoy wrote:
>>
>> Barney I have an ADDCO catalog.  It does not show a 7/8" bar for the
A.  It does show a 7/8" bar for the B.  I would assume (hmm) that if they
were interchangeable they would list both bars for both cars.  You can
call ADDCO at 1-800-338-7015.   Their special installation number for
dealers is 1-561-844-7881 Ex 16.

>Except that the ADDCO bar is designed to use the existing MGB end links
and the mounting points in the front of the A-arms.  Since the MGA
doesn't have those, that may be why ADDCO doesn't list the bar.  However,
if you add the MGB links and A-arms (as someone suggested) you may be
able to use the ADDCO MGB bar.

OK guys, now you've posted it in public so I can respond publicly.

There's another reason it's not listed to fit the MGA.  The MGA front
frame extension is nothing like the underbody of the unit-body MGB.  As I
am becoming more familiar with the MGB via certain vague pictures in
parts catalogs and some personal notes, I believe the height of the
mounting for the MGB sway bar is about the same as the top of the MGA
front frame extension.

Only on the MGA MK-II (and maybe some of the very late 1600s) is there a
notch or recess in the top of the front frame that will accept the
factory sway bar.  These same models would also have the necessary hole
in the lower a-arms to accept the end lings.  Earlier MGAs do not have
this notch in the front frame or the holes in the a-arms, so the factory
style sway bar will not fit these cars (and mine, unfortunately).

For ADDCO to spec this MGB sway bar as a fit for the MGA, they would have
to list precisely which later models of the MGA it would fit.  And if the
front frame extension had been replaced for any reason, there's no way of
knowing if the bar would fit without looking at each specific car.

Also, IMHO, both Moss and Vicky Brit are missing a good bet in that none
of the front frame pictures in their MGA catalogs show the indentations
in the top of the front frames for the sway bar, and there is no mention
of it along with the front frame listing.  Except, Vicky Brit lists a
separate part number for the Twin Cam front frame, and we know that the
Twin Cam cars had sway bars (at least in 1960, as that's the only year
listed for that part number).  Again, no reference is made as to what the
difference is, and the price is the same.  If there was just a note
stating "This part can be fitted to other models to allow mounting of a
sway bar" we might be way ahead here.  But I do not know for sure that
the twin cam frame extension part will fit all other MGAs (only about 99%
confident).

So the next question:  Does anyone know if either the Moss or Vicky Brit
MGA front frame extensions have the notches in the top which are not
shown in the illustrations in the catalogs?  If no one has this answer,
it could be time for a couple of phone calls.  My guess is that they're
all the same, either with or without.  And if someone paid for tooling to
make these parts, it would be a shame if they didn't incorporate the
notches for the sway bar.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude