mgs

Dremels, British bands

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dremels, British bands
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:09:04 -0600
I have never owned a Dremel however, back when I actually got payed for
using my hands instead of my mouth, I used a Dremel to make neurosurgical
instruments.  We would form cups and spirals freehand from stainless steel
to be used in brain biopsy instruments.  Anyway, for small work, a variable
speed Dremel is a good choice.  However, on most of the stuff a person does
to an old car and any exposed flesh/valuable parts in proximity to your
chosen area of destruction, a larger, more forceful tool is of greater use.

Foredom makes a somewhat larger version of the Dremel that includes the
flex drive.  This, I believe, is around 150.00.  It is a very versatile
tool and can spin larger cutoff wheels- 2" diameter or so.

For most uses, a die grinder is your best bet.  Electric ones tend to be
single speed but air die grinders are smaller and allow variable speed.
You can also get them fairly cheap.  A die grinder is the right tool for
cylinder head porting.  A good electric die grinder can set you back 200.00
if my memory serves me correctly.  I don't know if you can hook a variable
speed driver up to an electric die grinder but, if you can, that would
probably be the best all around setup at a reasonable price.

If you are the type that must have the best, there is a tool out there that
costs around 750.00 that is better than sliced bread.  It uses a dc servo
motor (I believe) that is constant speed regardless of torque output.  You
can set it to run at 30 rpm or 30,000 rpm and it will run that fast just
sitting there or under full load.  It comes with replaceable hand pieces so
you can get a straight shaft, a flexible shaft, or an angle drive shaft
(like a big dentist's drill).  It is a little bigger than a Dremel but
physically smaller than the Foredom machine.  Speed can be controlled by a
dial on the base or by a foot pedal.  I don't remember who makes these
little jewels but they are the answer if you can afford one.  If someone is
interested I will research the name.  One of the reasons that I don't own
any of these other tools is that using this one has spoiled me for life.
Sort of like trading in my Pentium for a Commodore 64 or the MGA for a
Tri**ph.

One of my favorite British bands is Jethro Tull.  About February I start
listening to "Songs From the Wood."  Every time I hear that song, it
reminds me of being outside communing with nature on a Spring day.  In
other words, driving an LBC with the top down!

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA in the garage plotting how to keep me as busy all winter as I kept
it all summer.  Once the plot is compete, I will find myself irresistably
drawn by unseen forces to the Moss catolog to order parts.