mgs

U-Joint HELP

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: U-Joint HELP
From: Glenn Wakefield <Wake@csolution.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:10:20 -0500
I have only asked a few questions in the past, but I think I am going to
be asking quite a few in the next week or so, so I will give a little
history of the car.  It is a 1973 MG Harvest Gold B which needed a new
clutch kit when I purchased it.  So, as often happens, I started a while
I am at it engine detailing.  Yes, I have now learned that the while you
are at it list, becomes overwhelming :)  The list includes stripping,
painting, putting new rubber in the clutch and brake cylinders, and
replacing all the hoses.

Anyways, I figured I would replace the U-Joints "while" the drive shaft
is out.  Any suggestions as to how to do this.  The Manual says "tap
lightly with rubber mattle and bearing caps will fall out".  That is
rather amusing.  I have beat on, pushed, pulled, and cussed at the
things to no avail.  Anyone want to share some wisdom here?

As always thanks for the help.  I am sure I will have more questions as
I try to put the B on the road.

Glenn Wakefield
Project Engineer
JE Merit Constructors