mgs

RE: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: "'patti morris'" <mgj2@globaldialog.com>,
Subject: RE: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: patti morris <mgj2@globaldialog.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:28:57 -0500
---------
From:   patti morris[SMTP:mgj2@globaldialog.com]
Sent:   Thursday, October 23, 1997 2:09 PM
To:     'shop talk'
Cc:     'mgs@autox.team.net'

Hi Carol!

On the Dremel Tool, I have had these for years. My first was not variable
speed and I found that I really needed to slow the thing down a bit so I
had to buy a speed control box that dremel used to sell. I used this tool
for years and years for everything from building model airplanes to
restoration wok on the cars. I finally overloaded it to the point one day I
fried it. I can't say how good the other makes are...probably very
similar...but I've always had Dremel.

My current one is a Model 395. It works out real well and has the speed
control right on the side of the tool. The same switch turns it on and off.
I think it also has ball bearings on the motor shaft. I'm sure you can get
this one with more or less accessories. Since you don't have any tool bits
yet, I'd buy one with at least a few accessories...you'll be suprised what
you might need.

Someone gave me a small cordless Dremel MiniMite Model 750 as a gift. It is
small and light and since there is no cord is easy to handle in really
delicate areas (small model planes for me). It is ok but I prefer the
plug-in model heavy and lengthy uses out in the garage.

I have used a flex shaft type made by Fordom I think but for my work was
too restrictive and never worked out too well.

Don't spend a lot for the case...all the ones I've had are too small to
easily hold the tool. Getting the cord back in was the main problem. Never
seems like the tool bits fit that well either. Buy a small tackle box
instead.

As for the bits, check home supply stores like Menards. I get some
non-Dremel bits there and they are a little less money. They also carry
Dremel stuff at Menards here. Bits are basically all about 1/8" shank but
there are different collets that will come with the tool or can be bought
that will let you use smaller sized shank tools and drill bits. The little
cut-off wheels are great.

Hope this helps!

John Morris