mgs

Re: Weird thing happened

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Weird thing happened
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 23 Oct 1997 09:49:53 -0500
In <344F5F0D.5764@qnet.com>, pat bailey wrote:
>I went for a nice drive Monday,bright sunny day went down the canyons to
>hollywood in search of the latest Tangerine Dream album.Tower records
>said we have 2!! on order.So I went back up to Mullholland and back down
>to Ventura BL and a coulpe of guys in an SUV pull up along side,one
>leans out and sez..."You want some free speakers?"
>I say "What?"He says " I'm working at a house and I have a pair of $3000
>home spaekers I'll give you,I'm not a terrorist!"By now I am thinking LA
>is full of fruits and nuts!I tell him I'm not interested.So he says
>"I'll deliver them to your house,pull over and you can look at them.
>I said" look ,pal I'm NOT interested..OK?"SO they pull a U-turn in
>traffic and are gone.

Sounds like the infamous White Van speaker scam.  Not an urban legend,
I've been hit on by the gang (didn't buy, in fact threatened to call
the cops to get rid of them).  I guess they've graduated to SUV's.
Rest assured those "free" speakers would have cost something (couple
hundred dollars for our troubles, man...) and would have been worth
about $1.98.  (Actual estimate of cost of production from a denizen of
the rec.audio crowd was about $40 for the pair....).

They're everywhere, they're everywhere....

                A. B. Bonds