mgs

Weber vs SU vs Z-S

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Weber vs SU vs Z-S
From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:49:13 -0500
I have been watching the current debate over carburation for LBC's.  One
Gentleman wants to hodge-podge 4 SU's and come up with two that will
work.

I have learned that if you don't have the time/money to fix SU's right
the first time, you don't have the time/money to fix them at all.  You
can put them together as well as your resources allow, but you before you
leave for a long drive, you had better making sure you have an angel
sitting on your wing.

As far as the bad rap Weber carbs seem to be taking, I believe that the
negativity is unfounded.  I have driven MGB's carburrated by both SU's
and Zenith-Strombergs.  I have driven the same cars retrofitted to Weber
32/36 DGV's.  In both instances, once properly adjusted, there has been
an _noticeable_ improvement in accleration.

In the case of my MGB, I have also noted an improvement in fuel mileage.
Additionally, when I drive to and from work, the engine has more
flexability, especially in the lower rpm range.

True, hanging an Italian carb on the side of a British engine is probably
considered unpatriotic.  However, I have an American alternator, German
foglights, and a Japenesse radio.  I follow Barney's philosophy:  I like
to get home.  Every time.

Hardly a cannonical explanation, but my experiences none the less.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
1977 Honda Civic CVCC
soon to be acquired 1986 Toyota 4-Runner (the new car)
thomas_pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu