mgs

Re: Head Modifications

To: saschris@flash.net
Subject: Re: Head Modifications
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 01:50:29 +0000
> Looking for some information on cylinder head modification.  The engine in
> my B is from a 79 spec car.  The bottom end was rebuilt a couple of years
> ago.  The head is from an early (pre-68)car, hence it has the "deep"
> combustion chambers.  This, combined with the dished pistons equates to a
> very low compression engine.

<<SNIP>>
> 1)  How much should I have shaved from the head.  My goal is to end up with
> a compression ratio of around 9:1.  I definitely don't want to cause
> reliability problems.
>
> 2)  Are any of the "service vendors" on the list interested in doing this
> head for me?  If so, please respond (privately if you wish) with your
> reccomendations and a budgetary quote.
>
> Regards,
>

> Chris Delling

Chris,
        Well, I should have read your original post before replying.  Seems
you already knew about the differences in combustion chamber volume.
        I would think that if you use stock flat-top pistons from a pre-68
engine, you should be able to get 9.0:1 without shaving the head.  I
think 9.0:1 was a stock ratio in the pre-68 engines.
        Are you planning to replace the rods?  I understand that you can use
any pistons in any year engine, as long as you use the appropriate
rods, since bore/stroke was always the same for the 1800 engine.  I
would order rods and flat-top pistons appropriate to whatever year
your head was made, and you should be all matched up.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner