mgs

Re: MGB engine color

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB engine color
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:30:19 -0600
>I'm getting my 76B's engine rebuilt and am trying to find out what color to
>paint it.  I'm pretty sure the original was black, but was it a glossy
>black or a flat black?  Was head, cover, and oil pan all same color?  How
>do you think hot pink would look in a blue body?
>

>>Just make
>sure you don't paint the bolts and thermostat cover the same colour,
>or it will look like you just dipped the top half of the engine in
>paint.  Some contrast is good.  My mechanic didn't paint the bolts,
>but he painted the thermostat cover, and it just doesn't look right.

Actually, (I can't speak for a 76, but at least on earlier MGB's) The engine
was all painted red.  I've looked this up before in several references.
Everything the same color.  This was done after assembly, so, all the nuts
and bults, the thermostat cover, the generator, the starter, the sump, the
block - everything.  The color was some orangish red, and it varied with the
batch of paint.  Ah ha - I just looked up later engines in The Original MGB.
 It looks like they are all black - and the statement is made that all post
'71's are all black.  There is some variation on painting the nuts and
bolts, but it looks like they are painted (from the majority of the
pictures).  The alternator, air pump, and starter show some variation, with
about 60% showing all black paint on them too.
Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C