mgs

Re: RE: Bonnet fit

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: RE: Bonnet fit
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@mailexcite.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:41:38 -0700

>By the way, has anybody checked the fit and finish of the Rover Group
>steel bonnets available from Moss.  They are about twice as expensive as
>their normal aftermarket.  Do they fit any better?

I bought a pair of Rover fenders, a bonnet and a pair of outer sills for my B a
few
years ago -
although not from Moss.   (Rover body panels should
have either a small hologram or a brown and white sticker pasted on them
somewhere)

[Obligatory plug for SICP... price was ~$140 for the bonnet and ~$179 for each
wing.
 When I saw the 'box', I nearly keeled over.  It took three people to lift it
out
of the Roadway truck.  The 'box' was a wooden crate constructed from several
sheets
of 4x8 plywood and a bunch of 2x4's.  The stuff was so well packed that it took
me
a half an hour to uncrate the parts.  Not a scratch on any of it though, kudos
the packers at SICP.]

The fit is excellent.  The wings/bonnet pretty much bolted right on and only
required
an hour or two of fiddling  to get the gaps perfect.  There is no filler in the
bonnet
and just a bit in each headlight bucket to fill in some weld gaps.  The sills
fit
equally as well, but required a bit of dressing around the rear
trumpet.

If you are considering new parts, and can spare the extra $, spring for the
Rover
parts, they fit well and will save you endless hours of frustration.

--Scott

Scott Hower -> howersl@mailexcite.com

73 MGB
78 Midget