mgs

Quad Cities All British

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Quad Cities All British
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:59:15 -0500
This last weekend was the Quad Cities All British Car Show in Davenport, Iowa.
The show was on Sunday but was preceded with a short tour and buffet dinner
Saturday night. If any of the organizers are on this list, I wish to convey a
well-deserved atta boy on a very nice event.

The Sunday show was from 9 to 3. The location was a blocked off street in East
Davenport, just one street off the Mississippi river and adjacent to Lindsay
park. A beautiful venue with a lot of things to do for just about everyone.

I heard just over 150 cars were there. There were a bunch of the common MG and
Triumph models, the Healey and Jaguar crowd, some Loti, and some "race prepared"
stuff. A really nice cross-section of the British morotoring sport. I saw my
first MGYT (4-seat convertible with TC motor/driveline and TD front end) and it
is a charming car. This one was left hand drive, yellow with tan fenders, tan
interior, and had this funky central hydraulic jacking system. I also saw a
green TR8 towing a trailer holding a green TR8 racecar -- a cute stunt! There
were Minis and motorcylces. An Ashton Martin, a real small-block Cobra, and even
an Interceptor.

There was room on the park grass to set up chairs for bench racing and a few
fine restaurants on the street to make sure no one went hungry or thirsty. I had
a great time and it was well worth the drive for the one-day show. I can usually
only budget a couple of out-of-town junkets during the summer and I would
certainly recommend this trip to anyone.

I was fully expecting to find Iowa somewhat boring but the 380 miles from Kansas
City to Davenport, skirting the southern and eastern borders, revealed a whole
bunch of pretty scenery, friendly people (well, except the A-H owners) and
really neat towns (Anyone from Burlington? Hire me!)

Anyway, consider this a rave review for the Quad Cities show and area. Go there
next year!

And the TR6 sputtered, coughed, and then flew all the way there and back!
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"this space for rent"