mgs

Re: Try and figure this one out. Anybody? Please give me some I

To: a-rrees@microsoft.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Try and figure this one out. Anybody? Please give me some I
From: "Paul Hammarstedt" <wfme@mail.mc.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:47:43 +0000
Randy,

Sorry to see you so distressed.  I wouldnt respond as I dont feel
like I have the answer.  But since you are so desparate for help,
I'll pitch in what I can.  I'm an engineer and experienced at solving
problems with insufficient tool, information, training, or intelligence.

I dont believe the brakes would "care" if you were turning or
steering straight ahead while braking.  Seems like something else is loose
and moving while you are turning right.

Maybe you have a funky (technical term whose origins ate traced to
software testing guys...<grin>) wheel bearing, loose caliper mount,
or some other loose suspension geometry that causes the brale rotor
or caliper to "wobble" or "wiggle" in a way to cause uneven brake
action.

What do you mean by modulation?  Something like a warped disc
produces (periodic increases in braking with the same frequency as wheel
rotation)?  Is it a pulse like that?

Other questions:  Is it an MGB?  Wire wheels?  Could wheel be bent,
out of round.  Could one of your tires developed a blister?  I had
that happen on a VW rabbit once.....took a heck of a long time to
figure it out, too......was really hard to see it on the tire.

That's all that comes to mind at this hour.  Hope it is something
simple.

Glad to help,
Shoulda been a farmer

PS - Are you going to get rid of Samurai?

> From:          "Randy Rees (Volt Computer)" <a-rrees@microsoft.com>
> To:            "'mg'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject:       Try and figure this one out. Anybody? Please give me some
>Ideas!
>                !!!!
> Date:          Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:10:01 -0700

> HELP HELP HELP!!!!!
>       This list has invaluable information and many years of MG
> insight, so I hope between all of you someone can figure this out.
>

> > My brakes work great, they don't pull when I stop, no fad or anything
> > for the last three month since the rebuild, so what's the problem you
> > say? Just this morning I have this funny modulation in the brake
> > pedal. What's so unusual about that you say? It only happens when
> > turning right, not left or when straight ahead, and happens at all
> > speeds. I've taken a quick look at the front suspension and don't
> > notice anything unusual. I hope somebody  has seen this, this car has
> > turned into my daily (and only ) driver since my Samurai blew a head
> > gasket.
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > Randy Rees
> > Windows NT Test Team