mgs

Re: Ball Joint Blues

To: DBHMGB@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ball Joint Blues
From: britcars@juno.com (Lawrence J Alexander)
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:40:12 EDT
On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:33:58 -0400 (EDT) DBHMGB@aol.com writes:
>Lawrie,
>My plans have changed.  I got the tie rod ends  out, but I can't get
>them off
>the tie rod, so I'm trying to take off the tie rods.  I've pryed up
>the
>little indentations in the locking ring for theball-housing, now how
>do you
>turn the locking ring and in which direction (facing the tie rod end
>end)?
> With what do you turn the ball-housing?  Or do you have any tips for
>getting
>the tie rod end off? Any
>help would be appreciated!!
>Dan

Dan....

The book says: "Prise up the indentations in the locking rings clear of
the slots in the rack and ball housing. Slacken back the locking ring and
unscrew the housing to release the tie ord, ball seat and seat tension
spring."

You say you've already pried up the indentations, so now just turn the
inner part away from the ball housing, then unscrew the ball housing off.
Note the use of the word "just"! That's my interpretation of the shop
manual's instruction! Actually, that is all you have to do, the only
problem being that the parts are quite tightly assembled. Absent a
special tool, use a hammer and punch to rotate the parts. Both are
regular right hand threads so at least you don't have to ttry and figure
out which way to hit them.....

The problem comes in re-assembly. First, the ball housing must be
tightened up until a force of 32 to 52 inch lbs. (not foot pounds) is
needed to move the tie rod, then the locking ring has to be tightened to
33 to 37 foot pounds, then the edge of the locking ring has to be punched
back down into the indentations.

It might be easier not to disturb these ball joints, and to concentrate
on finding a way to remove the tie rod ends from the tie rods. Since
having one of the parts held securely is important, you might find it
easier to re-attach the tie rod ends to the steering arms, then work on
the tie rods with penetrating oil, heat, vise grips, channel-locks, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Lawrie