mgs

MGB Twin Cam (Toyota)

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Twin Cam (Toyota)
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 07:15:41 -0700
I don't know if this was the same car, but there was a 1965 B roadster
that was converted to Toyota 18RG power about 15 years ago by an
engineer here at Aerojet in Sacramento.  The 18RG was a version of the
18RC Corona engine with a twin cam head and twin Mikuni Solex (Weber
DCOE clone) carbs.  The car went like stink, but the engine response was
a bit "peaky".  I don't know if he kept the stock axle ratio.

The engine installation was straightforward, but he did have to mill his
exhaust manifold flange at an angle to allow the manifold to clear the
MGB steering pinion shaft.  These engines used to be plentiful, being
used in many "sporty" Toyota sedans and coupes in Japan.  They would
occasionally show up at used Japanese engine importers, and could be had
cheaply (since they didn't fit any American spec Toyota).  Parts prices
were high and hard to find.  There was also a smaller 1600cc version
called the 2TG, based on the Corolla engine.  This was a DIRECT bolt in
to an early (1970s) vintage Corolla, even the exhaust pipes and throttle
linkage matched.  I have a friend who dropped one of these into a 1978
Corolla liftback, he certainly surprised many Beemers with that setup.
Of course, he would have to swap back to the stock engine come smog
check time...

Cheers, PK