mgs

Steering universal assembly found!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering universal assembly found!!
From: "Jeffrey B. Lewis" <jblewis@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 13:18:03 EDT
Friends,

Thank you all for your responses to my plea for a steering universal
assembly for my MGB.
I actually made that posting last week though it seems to have gotten hung
up somewhere.
I was kinda wondering where you all where until I realized the message never
hit the list.

At any rate, British Miles was able to ship me a used universal assembly.
Of course,
things are never a easy as they should be.  The splines on the assembly that
fit the
top yoke to the steering column were badly fouled and the assembly could be
not be slid onto
the column.  Fortunatly, that yoke was not marred on my original assembly so
I was able to fashion a working assembly from the two damaged ones.

The bearing cups on the assembly that British Miles sent mewere were seized.
I ended up hacksawing off the damaged yoke.  There's nothing quitelike
taking a hacksaw to part that
arrived by fed ex 5 hours eariler!  But, hey I was able to take my MG for a
weekend
at the beach.

thanks,

Jeff
Jeffrey Lewis                                   jblewis@mit.edu
Department of Political Science                 617.258.5888
MIT E53-436
Cambridge MA 02139